LANSING, MI – A player in New Jersey won the $23 million Powerball jackpot and an incredible 43 players won at least $1 million in the drawing held on Saturday, Jan. 23. The extraordinary total of big winners comes one day after a player in Michigan won a $1 billion jackpot.
Related story: 10 quick facts about the $1 billion winning Mega Millions ticket sold in Michigan
The Powerball drawing on Wednesday, Jan. 27 will be worth $20 million with a cash option of $15 million.
The Powerball Numbers (white) for Jan. 23: 5-8-17-27-28
The Red Powerball Power Number: 14
The Power Play Number: 3
Related story: Novi locals happy for $1B Mega Millions winner, hope they use the money around town
Powerball winners for Jan. 23:
· Along with the grand prize winner, 43 players matched all five white numbers drawn to win $1 million. Those tickets were sold in Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Puerto Rico, Texas, Washington and Wisconsin. A full list of those winners can be found on the Powerball website.
· Players in Florida, Georgia, Illinois, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York and Puerto Rico also played the Power Play option which increased their winnings to $2 million
· In Michigan, two tickets sold won $50,000 in the drawing. That was the largest prize won in the state.
· There were 1,032,769 tickets sold that won at least $4 in the drawing. In Michigan, 33,754 tickets sold won at least $4 in the drawing.
Powerball is offered in 44 States, Washington D.C., Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. Players select five white numbers from (1 to 69) and one red ball (1 to 26). Tickets cost $2 each.
In other Michigan Lottery news:
· The next Mega Millions drawing is Tuesday, Jan. 26 with an estimated jackpot of $20 million and a cash option of $14.7 million.
· The next Lotto 47 drawing is Wednesday, Jan. 27 at 7:29 p.m. with a jackpot of $1.2 million. Deadline is 7:08 p.m. that day.
· Sunday’s Fantasy 5 jackpot is an estimated $167,000. The drawing is at 7:29 p.m. Deadline is 7:08 p.m.
For the latest on Michigan Lottery, check out the official Michigan Lottery site, which also offers more information on instant tickets, raffles and other lottery games.
The last player from Michigan to win a Mega Millions or Powerball jackpot was Cristy Davis of Waterford who won $70 million playing Powerball in February. With her winnings, Davis said she planned to buy a new house and car.
And while she was a lucky winner, it’s smart for players to check their tickets immediately as a winner worth $1 million sold in Hartland in 2019 went unclaimed. The ticket was purchased at the Speedway in Hartland, but the winner never came forward to claim the prize. The money instead went to the state’s School Aid Fund.
If you’d like to be the next player from Michigan to win a huge lottery prize, take a look at these tips from lottery expert Richard Lustig. The author of “Learn How To Increase Your Chances Of Winning The Lottery” has won more than $1 million in Florida by winning top jackpot prizes in smaller games.