The New York City Marathon — the world’s largest — has been canceled because of safety concerns amid the coronavirus pandemic, organizers announced Wednesday.
The iconic, five-borough race — which hosts more than 50,000 runners from all over the world — had been set to celebrate its 50th anniversary on Nov. 1.
The milestone event will now take place on Nov. 7, 2021.
“While the marathon is an iconic and beloved event in our city, I applaud New York Road Runners for putting the health and safety of both spectators and runners first,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said.
The decision comes after the Boston Marathon and Brooklyn Half Marathon both nixed their races this year due to coronavirus concerns.
The New York City Marathon has only been scrapped once before when Hurricane Sandy pummeled the city back in 2012.
Runners registered for this year’s marathon have the option to get a full refund — or instead, receive a complimentary, guaranteed spot to compete in one of the events held the next three years, organizers said.
And they’ll be invited to compete in a virtual marathon this fall in lieu of kicking off together at the starting line at the Verrazzano-Narrows Bridge on Staten Island.
“Marathon Day and the many related events and activities during race week are part of the heart and soul of New York City and the global running community, and we look forward to coming together next year,” said Michael Capiraso, president of the Road Runners.
The race, which began in 1970, is considered one of the world’s pre-eminent long-distance running competitions, attracting participants last year from 129 countries.